That is Tomatoes we are talking about 🍅
Being in season, along with a variety of Mediterranean vegetables, August is the month for alfresco dinning, late dinners and lots of salad and fish.
Chef Gino gives us some health benefits of the great red fruit and his Recipe of the Month 😋
5 Health benefits of Tomatoes
With the summer season being among us and in full swing, we can really appreciate the many different types of tomatoes coming into season in August. Not only are they packed with nutrients and flavour, but can also provide us with a range of health benefits when consumed.
1. Tomatoes can provide us with up to 40% of our daily need of Vitamin C, Vitamin A and Vitamin K, which can help us keep a healthy blood pressure and fluid balance within the body.
2. Improved vision from the release of beta – carotene which will allow us greater health when working from our desks and looking at our screens on a daily basis.
3. Tomatoes can provide a rise in skin health through the absorption of lycopene, keeping it firm and youthful. Combining cooked tomatoes and olive oil can allow greater absorption and boost the production of pro-collagen.
4. 1 cup of tomatoes provides 2 grams of fibre which allows sustained energy and glucose levels to remain steady throughout the day, helping those living with type 1 and 2 Diabetes.
5. A low GI food type with a score of 55, allowing fewer calories with 100g coming in at 18Kcal
Types of Tomatoes 🍅
If you are looking to adventure into different flavours in cooking with tomatoes, bellow is a list of the amazing varieties of our little red friends:
Grape, Red Beefsteak, Green Beefsteak, Cherry, Cocktails, Roma, Heriloom, Tomatoes on the vine - https://www.naturefresh.ca/types-of-tomatoes-guide/
Recipe of the Month
Mediterranean Prawn Panzanella Salad
400g vine tomatoes
1 Ripe Mango
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
12 Tiger Prawns
1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
100g crusty wholegrain loaf
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 small handful basil leaves
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
2. Dice the bread into 2cm cubes and coat in olive oil and salt
3. Bake on a tray for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove and allow to cool
4. In a medium sized saucepan, gently warm the olive oil
5. Season the prawns with salt and pepper and cook for 30 seconds on each side. Set aside and allow to cool
6. Dice your mango and tomatoes to a 2 cm dice and add to a medium sized bowl
7. Finely slice the red onion and garlic and add to the bowl
8. Combine the capers, torn basil and cooled prawns and gently toss together
9. Add the olive oil and red wine vinegar to form a dressing and gently toss through the salad.
10. Toss the croutons through the salad, allowing the bread to soak up all the flavours and juices in the salad.
11. Serve and enjoy
You can find Chef Gino's full recipe on the app - RecipeHUB